1 cup toovar dal
3-4 drum sticks cut into 2”-3” length
1 onion cut into slice
2-3 table spoon sambar powder
1 table spoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
¼ tea spoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
½ cup grated coconut
A small lemon size tamarind
1 sprig of curry leaves
¼ tea spoon asafoetida
2 table spoon cooking oil
½ tea spoon mustard seeds
1/2 tea spoon jeera
1. Cook the dal with onion, turmeric and 2-3 drops of oil with 3 cups of water for 2-3 whistles and keep aside.
2. Grind grated coconut, tomato and tamarind into a smooth paste.
3. Boil cooked dal and drumstick in a heavy bottomed pan. Add salt and sambar powder and cook for 6-8 minutes. Now add ground paste and 2 cups water and cook for few minutes until the drum stick cooked and sambar reaches the desired consistency. Add chopped coriander leaves. Switch off the stove.
4. Heat a table spoon of oil in a small kadai, add mustard seeds, when it starts to splutter, add jeera, curry leaves and asatoefida, fry for few seconds and pour over the sambar.
5. Serve hot with steamed rice or idlies