1 cup toovar dal
1 medium size onion chopped
1 medium size tomato chopped
½ tea spoon turmeric powder
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
½ table spoon black pepper
½ table spoon jeera
8-10 garlic pods
1 sprig curry leaves
1 sprig coriander leav
3-4 dry red chilli
A small lemon size tamarind
2 table spoon oil.
A pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste.
1. Take a pressure cooker, put toovar dal, turmeric powder , few drops of oil and 3 cups water. Close the lid and cook it for 4 whistles. Allow it to cool
2. place a tamarind in a bowl, add some amount of wate,r keep aside for 15 minutes and filter the tamarind juice and keep aside.
3.Take a blender, put black pepper, jeera, coriander leaves and garlic, blend in a coarse.
4. remove the lid , mash the dal by using masher or mixer.
5. Now add blended ingredients to the dal.
6. Heat in oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when they start to splutter, add red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves fry for few seconds. Now add onion and tomato , fry for few minutes until onion becomes transparent.
7. Put dal mixture to it. Now add salt and tamarind juice and cook for few more minutes .when it boils for 3-5 minutes, turn off the stove.
8. serve it with steamed rice.
Note : Stir before serving, so that the dal water mix well. This rasam is meant not to be clear. So mix well before you serve.